Share on Facebook

Monday, May 02, 2016

Some quotes


Once I had a list of quotations on a social network website. I used to publish there my weekly blog, too. However, the number of members and visitors of that website diminished gradually and the webmaster decided to discontinue it. How pity, for I met a lot of nice people there and I got also many comments on my blogs. My blogs can still be read here on blogspot.com, but the list of quotations had gone. I am a bit sorry for it, so I decided to publish them here as my blog for this week. Some quotations are not completely new for the readers of this blog in the sense that I have used them here before. Do you mind? Good thoughts cannot be repeated too often, so here they are, without comments:

"No man shall be interfered with on account of his religion, and any one is to be allowed to go over to any religion he pleases" (Akbar, Indian Moghul Emperor, Muslim,1542-1605)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
"Se battre pour le prestige, pour le honneur, c'est se battre littéralement pour rien" (Fighting for prestige, for honour, is litteraly fighting for nothing) (René Girard)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
“We feel that even if all possible scientific questions have been answered, our problems of life have still not been touched at all.” (Ludwig Wittgenstein)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
“We should not take the absence of the word to be equivalent to the absence of thought” (Martha C. Nussbaum)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
“Every society as a whole learns that happiness cannot be equated with development” (Michel de Certeau)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
"C'est une dangereuse invention que celle des gehenes, et semble que ce soit plustost un essay de patience que de vérité."
“The putting men to the rack is a dangerous invention, and seems to be rather a trial of patience than of truth."
Montaigne on torture.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
“War is always more popular with those who don’t experience it” (Mark Kurlansky)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
“If you start a man killing, you cannot turn him off like a machine” (Guy Chapman)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
"The more violence, the less revolution" (Bart de Ligt, 1883-1938)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
“Tuer un homme, ce n’est pas défendre une doctrine, c’est tuer un homme” (Castellio, 1515-1563)
"Killing a man is not defending a doctrine, it is killing a man".
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
“Does it never strikes you as puzzling that it is wicked to kill one person, but glorious to kill ten thousand?” (L.F. Richardson)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Instead of "Cogito ergo sum" - "I think, therefore I am" (Descartes) I would rather say "Sum ergo cogito" - "I am, therefore I think". (myself- HbdW)
-.-.-.-.-.-.-
"Parce que c'etait lui, parce que c'etait moi" (Because it was he, because it was I)
Montaigne's definition of friendship

No comments: