Share on Facebook

Thursday, February 09, 2023

A poem by OpenAI


I wondered whether OpenAI/ChatGPT could write poems, so I asked the Playground of OpenAI: Write a war poem on the Ukrainian war in the style of Wilfred Owen. See below, what I got. Wilfred Owen (1893-1918) is the most important English war poet, who fought and died in the First World War (1914-1918).
Since I wanted to have also a picture for this blog I asked the OpenAI program DALL.E to make an image of Wilfred Owen in the style of Otto Dix. Otto Dix (1891-1969) was a German painter, who also fought in the First World War. After the war he has become famous by his anti-war paintings. See above what I got. By way of comparison, I have pasted also a photo of Owen next to the Dix-style image.
I have called the Owen-style poem "Trench War". Judge for yourself the result. 

Trench War

In trenches deep we lie,
the enemy on our side;
The fighting never ends
Though we try to hide.

We fight for our land
Though they take it away;
Our cries unheard,
Our dreams astray.

The bullets fly through air
As we fall to the ground;
Our blood stains the earth
As our courage we have found.

Our friends fall around us
As we hold our hands in prayer;
Our families far away,
Our hearts in despair.

These fields of death
We will never forget;
The pain and sorrow
We try to forget.

Our freedom we will fight for
In the Ukrainian war;
Our courage will never die
Till the battle is no more.


1 comment:

Paul D. Van Pelt said...

Not bad. Looks, feels and sounds like poetry I wrote before age twenty-two. No, I have not written poetry in decades.